zaterdag 3 december 2011

N°68 SOUTHERN CULTURE ON THE SKIDS - CAMEL WALK

First of all I'd like to say I'm not going to maintain the wednesday-Saturday routine anymore. Apparantly I'm not keeping it up properly and that's why I'm going for the freestyle routine now and post a next track whenever I want. Off course I'll try and update on a regular basis but I'll be more free whenever I don't find the time or do'nt feel like posting anything. Sorry folks.

Anyway. Didn't like the previous song very much and I'd like to howl at it as wolves do to a full moon. That is why the next song is perfect in tie with the Duck Sauce one since there's howling on it. Yeah baby !!! It's a son which I got to know recently on my favourite Belgian music station of Studio Brussel and I incorrectly thought it was a very recent song from a very recent band. NOT !

Southern Culture of the State or shortened to SCOTS are an American band founded in 1983 by Dave Hartman, Mary Huff and Rick Miller and they bring a happy, funny type of rockabilly unique surf sound of music. Their debut album in 1985 was called Voodoo Beach Party and that kind of says it all. Their music is a party. Anywhere, everywhere.The breakthrough came almost fifteen years later in 1998 when releasing the album Dirt Track Date which apparantly sold millions of copies around the world. This album contains the song I'm posting here and my guess is it's their best known song as well. (although I didn't knew before last week ...). In between this period of time they released more albums with titles such as Too Much Pork for Just One Fork and the EP Girlfight.


What catches the eye is that the band kept going back to producing different EP's and full albums at the same time.Eg. In 1995 they released the album with the song Camel Walk as described above but two years later they release an EP called Camel Walk which caught on so the single became a world wide succes. A bit strange but it works for them apparantly. They're last album dates from last year and is called Zombified which again is a rework from an eight track, Australian only released  EP, from 1998. The new album is completed with 5 additional songs and is finally worthy to be called an album.
To finish this blog up I can say SCOTS are tolerant towards filming and taping their music and live performances and they like to have their fans come on stage and dance with them. Also they're known for throwing fried chicken and banana pudding in the audience during live gigs. You'd better not wear your sunday suit when going to on of their concerts.

Enjoy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten