zaterdag 9 juli 2011

N°38 TOOL - SOBER

Easy link off course espacially since I've mentioned it in my earlier blog. Tool was mostly formed by members and co-workers from Green Jelly. Jaymes Maynard is a big my hero and Tool is probably my second best favourite band ever. I've seen 'em live at Pukkelpo a few years back but too bad I was a bit drunk at the start of the concert. I did enjoy the later part twice as much since I remember a huge lot of the songs they played at the end of the session. That's also a bit why I've chosen to post their songsober although it's not my favourite Tool song.

Founded back in 1990 by James Maynard Keenan, guitarplayer Adam Jones, bassplayer Paul d'Amour and James' neighbour Danny Carey on drums. With a first EP called Opiate, released in 1992, they made their first babysteps in the music industry. This first EP was followed by the later CD Undertow, basically a release of the first EP with some extra songs added. Paul would leave the band in 1995 but Tool never sat still. Aenema got released in 1996 and it's an album with lyrics about clensing of the human soul. The titelsong is untill now still one of my favourites and it's about tidal waves cleaning out the world as we know it. It also contains the great 46 and 2 song about evolution of mankind into a species with an extra chromosome. Great song, great lyrics.

After the release of Aenima the band members were more busy with their individual side projects (James is also lead singer of A Perfect Circle) and rumours began Tool would end. But none of that was true. BAck to back in 2001 and 2002 they released Salival and Lateralus, their third and fourth CD. Especially 'Schism' is one of the outrageous great songs on one of these albums. But again the fans had to wait a long time for the latest album which came in 2007. "10.000 Days" would strike like a bomb when released with more great songs such as The Pot, Rosetta stoned or Vicarious, as ong about the nature of mankind being attracted by nothing but negative news.

As you can read, Tool is creating songs with debt and with a metal sound undertow although I wouldn't call them a metal band. To me it's most of the time listening music which is strange whe n it comes to music like that. The inner spirit of mankind is often the subject and James sings about it in many different ways. 

I can only hope you'll enjoy the choice I've made by going for Tool and maybe, just maybe someone out there discovers a great new band. 

Bye,


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten