donderdag 7 juli 2011

N°37 - GREEN JELLY - LITTLE PIG, LITTLE PIG

First of all, sorry to have let my readers a bit down. Been busy with other things which were a bit more important than my blog. Normally I'd try and recover for the lost songs but I'm a bit way behind which makes it difficult too catch up. I won't even try. I do promise to post a link every other day untill next friday just to make up for a little bit of the lost songs.

Green Jelly and Little Pig is a song which brings out memories to my teens. It was a huge hit in Belgium when I attended my last year in secondary school and I also remember that me and one of my schoolmates were singing it during mathematics class just to ennoy the teacher .... Good memories. The link with B-A-B-E is simple since Babe is also a movie pig. I didn't want to pick another soundtrack song though.

Green Jelly was an eighties and nineties self claimed New York comedy punk band which at all time consisted of four members. The members switched during the years and I won't list them up. Founded in 1981 their goals was to become the worst rockband in the world. When starting to play a few theatrical gigs they weren't that good of musicians. It was even that bad that the bass player had to colour up his guitar frets to memorize the colours while playing. They were that bad.

Their stage acts were violent and soon the band got banned around New York city but then they changed their stage names to American Jell-O Party only to try and get back into the banned clubs. Apparantly it worked and they got banned once more in several clubs so they changed the name back into Green Jello.


A first EP followed in 1984 called "Let it be". Inspired by the original Beatles EP. It wasn't a  big succes but their stage performances became famous. eg Green Jello once asked their fans to bring clothes to iron on stage, which they did while singing. The also appeared on The Gong Show but were gonged that quickly because they were that bad. It was their first national exposure though. A second album was recorded in the later eighties with multiple vocalists. Amongst them James Maynard Keenan, current lead singer of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer. This is also my next link since more Green Jelly members would join Tool later on in their careers.

Early nineties they'd release a third album called Cereal Killer which contains this song. Yes it's that a that old song. The Little Pig song became their biggest succes reaching the charts in the USA, Great-Britain and in most European countries like mine. The video was directed by Fred Stuhr who also directed the video for Tool's song Sober. Another link with Maynard's band.

Mid nineteen nineties they recorded a final album called 333 but that wasn't a big of a succes. Green Jelly also started up different projects such as their own production house. Also that never became the biggest succes although they recorded a song for the movie Dumb and Dumber and the soundtrack for the movie Born to be Wild. Green Jello never split but all of them would go their own way.

In 2008 a reunion took place and the band re-released their last two albums, later followed by a new album called Song to Insult Your Intelligence By. The band went back on tour late 2008 and 2009 followed by a Parental Advisory Tour in 2010. The band is nowadays still alive and kicking.

And now I will relive a little part of my teen years and sing along "Littel pig little pig let me in ...."

Greetz

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten