zaterdag 4 juni 2011

N°31 GORILLAZ - CLINT EASTWOOD

Let's pick a band that doesn't exist. You don't have to believe me but it's actually true. They're virtual and started of as a media project of 2 British wiz-kids. The band consists of 4 virtual characters called 2-D (they're drawn in 2D !), Russell Hobbs, Murdoc Niccals and Noodle (probably because he likes the food).

They're a great mix of comic art talent and a musical mixture of hip-hop, rock and pop music. Damon Albarn does the music and lyrics and Jamie Hewlett draws the little monsters and makes them move on screen. Their best known song must be the one I posted. At least I got to know them by it and I believe it came of their first album named after the band. (actually after checking it, it was their second !!!)


In a timespan of a little over ten years now they've created 5 extremely good albums but still I like the Gorillaz album the best. As with Arctic Monkeys (here you've got the link) they released their latest album this year but I haven't had the chance yet to even listen to it. I guess I've got to go and look for it and give it a go. I do know their most recent single from that album (the album is called The Fall and so is the single) and it's quite promissing. Makes me curious about listening to the rest of the tracks.

Let's introduce the characters:
2-D: Lead singer and guitar player. Ex thief.
Noodle: Female and also guitar player. She's Japanese by origin and arrived in England in a Fed-Ex container.
Murdoc: Bass  player and musical brain of the group. Addicted to about anything. 
Hobbs: New Yorker and self proclaimed posessed by demons.

Albarn is project leader of the musical part of the band but still he has loads of famous co-workers in the name of Snoop Dogg, Neneh Cherry, Ike Turner, Lou Reed, Paul Simon, .... just name them.

Enjoy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten