woensdag 1 juni 2011

N°30 ARCTIC MONKEYS - DON'T SIT DOWN 'CAUSE I'VE MOVED YOUR CHAIR

Africa by Toto was an option but I’m kinda tired of that song so let’s give a hip British indie band a shot. I didn’t knew Arctic Monkeys until last year when I discovered their very first album ‘Whatever People Say, That’s What I’m Not’ through the single ‘I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor’. The album went on repeat and I liked it a lot so I got to know their music a bit better with their more recent albums ‘Favourite Worst Nightmare’ and ‘Humbug’. And let’s not forget their 2011 album ‘Suck It And See’.

I chose a song from this recent album just because at first I thought the title was funny but while listening to it, as with their first album, I started to like it more and more. Off course I could have chosen ‘I bet you look good …’ song but then I recommend all of you to youtube it. Well maybe it might appear later in the list.



A quick in between by the way. I’ve been setting up a simple extra rule into the link: No artist can return within 100 songs from each other. Eg. N°1 started of with Triggerfinger so they can reappear earliest at N°101.

Back to the Monkeys. In 2002 they formed the band as two neighbour kids (Alex Turner and Jamie Cook) together with high school friends (Andy Nicholson and Matt Helders). Also a 5th member was present but he quit the band pretty quick.

Their first few gigs were small successes and Arctic Monkeys started to distribute free demo tapes to their closest fans. Soon they’d appear on the internet to become world wide known … in England. A very limited first EP existed of only two songs. They filled their first shows with covers of The White Stripes and other British Rock Bands. Their first full album in 2006 reached success followed by lots of great critics.

On tour the Monkeys came up with a problem with Nicholson and he was being replaced by current band member Nick O’Malley. Apparently Nicholson got tired of touring and the rest wanted to move on and start working on a new album. Ever since the band reached greater heights than before. They would play the biggest festivals, the best shows like Top Of The Pops and they sold out the Manchester Cricket Ground 2 nights in a row (50.000 people per night) in 2009.

I haven’t heared the new album yet (apart from the song I’m posting here) since it’s going to be released in five days (June 6 is the official release date) but I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Now scroll up and press play !

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten